I’ve been in the mood for baking again yesterday but too tired to go to the store. With my empty fridge, I was pouring over the internet trying to find a recipe that does not need butter nor egg and Voilà! I stumble upon this super easy but absolutely scrumptious chocolate cake recipe.
I’m so happy with how it turned out as I have never been too pleased with any of the cakes I baked before — no matter from scratch or from store-bought, ready-mix — mine always had that yucky eggy smell and taste. This recipe is just fantastic.
This spongy Wacky Cake, also known as Crazy Cake, and Depression Cake is commonly believed to have been created as the result of rationing during World War II, when milk and eggs were scarce.
For the Cake (adapted from Chocolate Crazy Cake (No Eggs, Milk, Butter or Bowls Recipe by Sweet Little Blue Bird)
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup sugar (All purchase sugar – Granulated Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used coconut oil and it turned out marvelous)
- 1 Cup water
For the Frosting (adapted from 1 Minute Frosting Recipe by Yummy Life)
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or canned evaporated milk)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (may substitute butter, canola or vegetable oil, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Sweetened coconut flakes to garnish (optional)