Adapted from the recipe by www.minimalistbaker.com
1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) instant/fast acting yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
2 3/4 – 3 1/4 cups flour (I used a ratio of 2/3 unbleached all purpose, 1/3 whole wheat flour)
1/2 – 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raw walnuts or pecans, crushed (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, heat the milk and 3 Tbsp butter in the microwave in 30 sec increments until warm and melted (never reaching boiling). Let cool to 110 degrees, or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Sprinkle on yeast and let activate for 10 minutes.
- Then add 1 Tbsp sugar, salt and stir.
- Next add in 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana and stir.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so, adding flour as needed, until it forms a loose but still springy ball. Only use as much flour as it will take.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl, coat it with canola or olive oil, and add your dough ball back in seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a long rectangle ~1/4 inch thick. Brush with 1/4 cup melted butter and top with 1/3 cup sugar (I used a little brown sugar mixed in with the cane sugar) and 1/2 – 1 Tbsp cinnamon (up to preference). Then add walnuts or pecan.
- Slowly and tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. With a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8 square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls).
- Brush with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle with a bit more sugar (brown or cane) and remaining walnuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 28-35 minutes (mine took 40 minutes) or until slightly golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm.
ทาเนย กับ glaze ด้วยน้ำเชื่อม หรือแยม ตามใจชอบ หรือจะ ทาด้วย glaze แบบหวานเหมือนที่เค้าขายก็ได้
*For a simple glaze, melt 1 Tbsp butter and add to ~2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Mix and gradually thin with milk 1 tsp at a time until pourable but still thick.